If not now, when?

One American woman. Twenty acres and a 1650 farmhouse in Tuscany. Random introspection and hilarity, depending on the day.

31 December 2006

The stuff New Years' Dreams are made of

(If you've seen it, you know the scene. The scene that, every New Year's Eve, gives the soft, mushy side of me hope that the 'big romantic gesture' is still alive in the world):


Harry: I've been doing a lot of thinking. And the thing is, I love you.

Sally: What?

Harry: I love you.

Sally: How do you expect me to respond to this?

Harry: How about you love me too?

Sally: How about I'm leaving.

Harry: Doesn't what I said mean anything to you?

Sally: I'm sorry Harry, I know it's New Years Eve, I know you're feeling lonely, but you just can't show up here, tell me you love me and expect that to make everything alright. It doesn't work this way.

Harry: Well how does it work?

Sally: I don't know but not this way.

Harry: Well how about this way: I love that you get cold when it's seventy one degrees out, I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich, I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts, I love that after I spend a day with you I can still smell your perfume on my clothes and I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Years Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of the life to start as soon as possible.

Sally: You see, that is just like you Harry. You say things like that and you make it impossible for me to hate you. And I hate you Harry... I really hate you. I hate you.


And the clock chimes midnight.
And they kiss.
And they live happily ever after.


And so, here I am on New Year's Eve: wearing the traditional red underwear (Italian good luck charm!), and wishing each and every one of you a very very Happy 2007.

May it bring you hope and love and laughter and big romantic gestures.
May it bring us all a world that's kinder, more responsible, more peaceful, more aware.

"You only get one life to live. And if you live it right, one should be enough. If not now, when?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Annika said...

Happy New Year!!!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home